BE ADVISED: Due to the high number of people messaging myself (the group owner) and other admins we are now asking you DON’T message us unless there is a REAL EMERGENCY that for some reason only we can help. If you have a problem in the group or with another member, flag the post, it’s easy. Go to the top right where the three dots are and click on flag post. We will see it and decide how to deal with it. Please respect whatever decision we come to. From now on anyone messaging us to complain about the group or harrass us, etc. gets removed and blocked immediately. If you have a health question, again, ask in the group. I am not a personal one on one counselor. As this group has gotten larger and times are difficult right now, people are behaving in ways no one should have to put up with, and that includes us. And again I can’t state this enough for my own sanity, no more messaging admins (especially myself). PLEASE RESPECT THAT! Read the guidelines carefully, follow them and refer back to them often, pure and simple. Messaging an admin to complain about the rules & guidelines will also be grounds for removal. When you join this group you clearly state you’ve read them and agree to follow the rules. If you don’t like them you’re welcome to leave the group at any point, it’s not up for negotiation. Thank you for your cooperation.
Anyone is welcome to join our group. As long as you abide by the rules we welcome everyone who wants to learn, help others, or needs help.
This group is for people that have or have had kitties with IBD, fatty liver disease, pancreatitis or any other GI disorder. We’re here to offer love, emotional support, guidance and personal experiences only, so please be respectful and kind!
- We are NOT veterinarians. Always check with your vet before making changes to medications and/or treatment. Any suggestions made in the group regarding medications, supplements, treatments, diet, etc. are only that…suggestions, and should not be regarded as medical advice.
- Research material, theories, experience, etc. are all welcome. However, we are not here to persuade, confuse, argue, intimidate or scare others into our views or opinions. Please refrain from arguing an issue to the point of exhaustion. Be respectful of each other’s opinions and feelings, state your point and move on. Differing opinions are of course welcome but we don’t allow escalation to arguments, belittling or continuous antagonizing. This will be grounds for removal of the thread and the people or person responsible. Bullying will not in any way be tolerated and that includes towards the admins. We understand that IBD is extremely stressful for everyone but taking it out on anyone in the group is not tolerated. If it’s reported that someone in the group has been bullied publicly or privately, the person doing the bullying will be immediately removed and blocked.
- NO food shaming. Everyone here does the best they can with their kitties. We are here to offer support and education, but not pressure. Every cat is different and there are no “one size fits all” treatments or answers. What works for one or several others may not work for another and it is ultimately the pet parent’s decision to make regarding what kind of diet, treatment, medication, supplements, etc. that they are willing to give their pet.
- We do not in any way advocate vegan or vegetarian diets for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores and if not fed meat they are in serious danger of anemia, B12 deficiency, etc. We will not advocate vegan/vegetarian diets here and any posts regarding these diets will be removed and possibly the member as well if they push it. Sorry but that’s life threatening.
- There is presently NO cure for IBD. There are many great treatments and there is “remission” but there is currently NO CURE. We ask that you refrain from this statement as it gives false hope.
- We are NOT a holistic group and will not allow the discussion of such. We see A LOT of pages, groups and posts, etc. on holistic treatments that are unsafe, have no proven science behind them, and are not researched and proven safe. Many issues brought up daily in the group are particular sticking points as we feel the discussion of these are not conducive to the safety of this group. There are many gray areas concerning holistic treatments and we just don’t have the time or resources to debate the issue constantly. If you are interested in alternative or holistic treatments for your cat you should consult with a registered holistic vet. Because such treatments are tailored to a specific cat or complaint we ask you not to share such remedies with the rest of the group as they may not be suitable for their cat. Please take the time to research alternatives and be aware that the admins of this group will be monitoring posts. Some comments/posts and possibly the member will be removed for safety reasons.
Any discussions on essential oils is prohibited as we feel it’s unsafe (regardless of the amount of attention and/or selling of these items by vets etc.). Please see this link for further information on why it’s unsafe: https://www.ibdkitties.net/supplements/toxicunsafe-natural/.
Coconut oil should not be taken internally by cats; this is a fad that is proven to not be good for dogs, cats and even people when taken internally. Please also see the link above. https://www.ibdkitties.net/supplements/toxicunsafe-natural/
Alcohol of any kind in products is not safe. Cats cannot process it. https://www.ibdkitties.net/toxicunsafe-foods/.
Homeopathics and Chinese medicine are extremely individual to each cat and like other things should be discussed with your holistic vet. We state again that these should not be brought up or shared in the group in any way.
CBD oil is very popular and while we respect this and allow the discussion of it, we cannot recommend it due to the problems with counterfeit products, lack of testing in cats and/or science behind it. CBD oil can interfere with some medications and like anything else can have side effects to it. While we are fine with it, we’d prefer it not become the lead discussion in the group. https://www.ibdkitties.net/using-cbd-products-information-and-resources/
Allowed discussions include slippery elm bark (it’s pure fiber, nothing else), George’s fractionally distilled aloe vera liquid (not latex so safe for cats), milk thistle (which is prescribed by vets as it’s an ingredient of Denosyl and Denamarin, collagen to build muscle and help weight gain, probiotics/prebiotics etc. Anything along these lines.
- Try to use resources within the group and within the IBDKitties website first, before referring members outside the group unnecessarily. We see A LOT of people posting links to other groups when it isn’t necessary. Yes, we recommend other groups frequently here but it’s really not necessary to keep doing this in every single thread. It’s in fact bothersome when we discuss almost all of those issues here. If a kitty has been diagnosed with cancer or kidney disease, etc., we absolutely have no problems with recommending specialty groups. But it’s weird and unnecessary to come into a group every single day and post links to other groups for no reason. We recommend many different groups all the time, but I can’t imagine any group would be happy with this kind of behavior, it makes no sense. So please keep that in check. Again we are not saying you can’t post links to other groups, we’re fine with it. Just don’t come in and do it in every single thread. Always check the IBDKitties website first if you have a question, especially if you are new to IBD. Answers to many common questions are there. https://www.ibdkitties.net/
- Please try and include as much information as you can in one post. Posting each question you have separately every few minutes takes up the forum and gets very confusing.
- There are many people who very generously want to donate medications, which can be expensive, to members of the group. Unfortunately due to strict laws, we cannot allow donation or selling of medications within the group. Doing so is against the law and we could be reported which would hurt everyone in the group. For this reason only food, supplies and non prescription supplement posts will be allowed. We apologize as we need to think about the safety of everyone involved.
- Along those lines we have decided to take up the same rule that many other groups are already implementing; NO private PMs to other members. It has led to harrassment, misinformation & disrespect for the members, admins and the group. We will allow it when giving away supplements, food & supplies but for no other reason. Those posts will be immediately removed without explanation. If it continues that’s grounds for removed and blocked.
- Do not hijack other people’s posts in order to discuss your kitty. We appreciate you answering the questions asked or giving your experience when it applies but if you need help, we want you to start your own thread. The person who originally posted has the right to have the attention focused on their needs at the time.
- In order to keep things easy to find and flowing for all members, refrain from posting off-topic material and keep to the subject matter. This includes random articles not associated with the subject matter, photos of unknown pets and graphics. Random graphics (funny, cartoons, etc) are not allowed as it easily gets out of hand and causes questions from members to get pushed down out of sight so they don’t get answered. Those are fine and even welcome to post in the IBDKitties fan page: https://www.facebook.com/IBDkitties/. Also, it’s fine to post occasional pictures of your kitty without questions or advice, but please don’t flood the forum with pictures only. We want to keep the forum clean and flowing for people to find subject matters easily. If these things are posted they will be immediately removed and you will be contacted with a reminder to read the guidelines again.
- Vomit or poop pictures of any kind are not allowed as some of us are very squeamish, these pictures will be removed. Pictures like this should be sent to your vet for them to determine if a vet visit is in order.
- This is not a group for posts about rehoming, posts about abused animals, etc. Respect that this is a group solely for kitties with the IBD and related conditions and anything posted to the contrary will be immediately removed.
- Fundraising links will not be allowed nor selling products, promoting your pages, etc. Again we have the fan page for these kinds of posts see link above.
- IBDKitties members are welcome to join our bereavement group if you’ve experienced loss of a pet or a human. https://www.facebook.com/groups/IBDKittiesGriefSupport/ We’re better equipped to help you through your extreme grief and can concentrate on that particular subject matter. We hope you understand that the pet parents here in the regular group are in a delicate state with their own pets and it can become too much sometimes to see the extreme grief you are going through every day. Be aware that the bereavement group is restricted to members of IBDKitties and we will not accept outside members. If you’re in the regular IBD group and want to leave but join the grief group, please join the group first as you won’t be allowed in once you leave IBDkitties.
- Do not to post pictures or video of your kitty’s body after it’s passed or getting ready to pass. Many people here are on the edge with anxiety and some have PTSD after watching their kitties pass away or being so sick. We aren’t trying to be insensitive, quite the opposite. We know that many different cultures and places around the world handle death differently but not everyone can handle it.
- All health- related questions should be asked in the group only. Do NOT PM admins for personal opinions and one-on-one help. There are many more members in the group itself that can offer you help and in fact probably know more about certain conditions than we sometimes do. We are not here 24/7 and cannot keep up with these requests. If you’re reporting a post for any reason then please flag it.
- You may not block any of the admins. If we see that you have, you will promptly be removed and blocked from the group. We cannot have people blocking us because you don’t like the rules or anything we’ve said in the group; we need to be able to converse with you for many different reasons. Simple as that.
IBDKitties reserves the right to remove any member without warning for not following these guidelines and to change or add to the guidelines in the future. Thank you for understanding and following these guidelines! Anyone who feels someone is violating the guidelines should feel free to report the post and we will determine what happens next.
This group is a sister page to the website https://www.ibdkitties.net/. Please refer to this site for information, case studies, research, etc.
Thank you for your cooperation.